Wednesday, September 15, 2010

o_____O

I am officially very creeped out by Minecraft now. Story - titled How Curiosity Killed The Cat('s interest in Minecraft) here:

-

It all started innocently enough, with me browing the Minecraft forums. Perfectly innocent, right?

Then I came across a thread titled Video evidence of "him". "Him"? Did notch program a god-like figure into Minecraft as an Easter Egg or something? Curious, I clicked.

The first post contained a Youtube video. Wary of watching random videos, I scrolled further down to check the rest of the post. It simply told me to fast-forward to 2min from the end, and to watch the volume as the player's reactionary scream was rather loud.

Even warier, I scrolled further down. The next few posts simply wondered about the authenticity of the video, until yet another poster pointed out that it had been aired as a live stream. Slightly further down, someone brought up the possibility that it had simply been a reskin, and someone else commented that that skin did not exist in Minecraft.

Okay, something interesting was going on here. A Google search threw up nothing of relevance, so I simply read further. Eventually I began to throw together a rough picture of events. The OP had encountered someone, or something strange - on singleplayer, which meant that it couldn't have just been another player fooling around - and gotten scared by it.

Common sense , as well as my own fear of horror-related stuff, told me to stop here. Instead, I read on.

And then a few posts down, I found screencaps of OP's video (no, I will not link them). Very intrigued now, I began scouring the Minecraft forums for more information on this elusive "him".

That was when I found the original creepypasta. Suddenly the screencap I had seen began to seem distinctly freaky. Further hunting revealed the rest (Google it, I'm not explaining), and very much creeped out at that point, I quickly closed the pages, deciding that I wouldn't play Minecraft anymore for a while.

Two days later, I found the thread that confirmed it as a hoax - even so, it's creepiness factor still didn't decrease. And then I made the mistake of clicking (click) this link, and freaked out all over again.

-

...why I typed it like that, I have no idea.

Yoru-senpai, whyyyyy did you have to blog about it? I was trying to forget it, and then read your post and got creeped againnn.
>.<

And the 'message' is actually Brocraft telling players to go get a life. Yeah.